Foundations of Mindfulness: A Five-day Retreat
We will deepen our personal and experiential engagement with the core meditation practices taught in courses such as Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction and Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy, alongside offering an opportunity to explore theoretical understandings that underpin them. In particular, we will structure the residential around the four ways of establishing mindfulness as expressed within Buddhist philosophy. These teachings will be offered as a framework to support first-person exploration of experience in formal and informal mindfulness practice. The core curriculum will be the immediacy of personal experience. Whilst having their roots in Buddhist psychology, the themes, teaching, practice guidance and explorations will be presented in terms of their application to secular mindfulness programmes such as MBSR and MBCT.
The retreat will include:
- periods of both guided and self-directed practice
- short talks with time for questions and discussion
- individual meetings and group exchanges with the teachers
- sustained periods of silence to enable participants to connect more fully with their inner experience
- time to practice mindfulness informally between the scheduled sessions
- The teachers will be available to talk to people individually.
A core teaching intention for this retreat is to offer a structure and atmosphere within which we can deeply look into experience with the freshness of beginner’s mind, enabling new insights and perspectives to emerge.
Who is the retreat for?
This practice residential is suitable for people who have attended an eight-week MBSR/MBCT (or similar) course and who have a personal practice of mindfulness. The retreat is open to anyone who meets these requirements, and is particularly intended for new and trainee mindfulness teachers, and others who are integrating mindfulness into their professional work.
This retreat will enable mindfulness teachers who wish to be included on the UK Network Listing of Mindfulness Teachers to fulfill the requirement to attend an annual mindfulness retreat.
Requirements to attend:
Completion of an eight-week course (or similar). Prior attendance on a guided silent day of practice is also recommended, but not required.
About the teachers:,
Please arrive for 4:00 pm on the first day in time for dinner and orientation in the evening. The retreat ends at noon on the last day, followed by lunch at 12:30pm. Participants will need to depart by 2:00 pm.
Ackworth School, Ackworth, Pontefract, West Yorkshire, WF7 7LT
Ackworth School is located in the countryside, about two hours from London Kings Cross by train. Nearest train stations are Wakefield Westgate and Doncaster.
What to bring and wear:
Please bring equipment to support your practice, such as a mat, cushion, blanket, etc.
Full rate for private accommodation: £550.00 total includes the £100.00 deposit. Our full rates have no hidden extras and includes deposit, teaching, room and board.
Please note: The majority of our venues have shared bathrooms including for PRIVATE rooms. Please contact us if you have any specific needs that we need to be aware of.
The Application and Payment Process:
Our application and payment process involves the following steps:
- We receive your application form and assess it to ensure that this retreat is suitable for you. We endeavour to make assessments within a week, but if the retreat leader is on annual leave or on retreat, then this can take a little bit longer.
- Your place is fully confirmed once we receive your deposit or full retreat payment.
- If you selected to pay the deposit only, we will invoice you for the balance three months before the retreat starts.
- We will email you the joining instructions in advance of the course.
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
Please read our Terms and Conditions for information regarding payments and cancellations.
For more information:
Please email us at email@example.com.