Coming Back Home to Ourselves: A Seven-day Silent Retreat
This retreat, taught over seven days, will be structured and held so as to create a safe and supportive environment for this work of “coming back home to ourselves.” It offers a unique opportunity to cultivate a continuity of mindfulness that allows us to deepen our understanding of the workings of our own heart, mind and body.
The retreat will be shaped around the Buddhist psychological framework of the four foundations of mindfulness, as well as drawing from the contemporary understandings informing mindfulness-based programmes. We will practise with and build on the meditation forms familiar to those within Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction/Cognitive Therapy. There will be periods of guided and unguided sitting, lying, walking and mindful movement practice, opportunities for informal practice, and meetings to explore first person experience with the teachers and their support team. The retreat will also include a daily short period of carefully guided interpersonal mindfulness practice drawn from Insight Dialogue to enable us to inquire into the teaching themes with the support of a co-meditator.
The overall container of the retreat will be one of noble silence: a chance to be in community with like-minded people without the need to be anyone in particular. There will be opportunities for sharing and connecting at the end of our time together.
Who is the retreat for?
The retreat is suitable for the following people:
- those who have taken an eight-week mindfulness course and wish to deepen their learning
- those who are training to teach mindfulness-based courses
- established mindfulness-based teachers
This retreat will enable mindfulness teachers who wish to be included on the UK Network Listing of Mindfulness-based Teachers to fulfill the requirement to attend an annual mindfulness retreat. It also fulfils the TTP seven-day retreat requirement.
Requirements to attend:
Attendance at an 8-week MBSR/MBCT (or similar). In addition, attendance of at least one day of guided silent mindfulness practice is recommended but not required.
About the teachers:
Please arrive for 4:00 pm on the first day in time for dinner and orientation in the evening. The retreat ends at noon on the last day, followed by lunch at 12:30pm. Participants will need to depart by 2:00 pm.
Ackworth School, Ackworth, Pontefract, West Yorkshire, WF7 7LT
Ackworth is a boarding school located in the countryside, about two hours from London Kings Cross by train. Nearest train stations are Wakefield Westgate and Doncaster.
What to bring and wear:
There will be a limited amount of equipment available at the venue. Please bring your own equipment to support your practice if possible.
Our full rates have no hidden extras and includes deposit, teaching, room and board.
Rate for single accommodation: £725.00 total (includes the £100.00 deposit).
Please note: The majority of our venues have shared bathrooms including for SINGLE rooms. Please contact us if you have any specific needs that we need to be aware of.
The Application and Payment Process:
Our application and payment process involves the following steps:
- We receive your application form and assess it to ensure that this retreat is suitable for you. We endeavour to make assessments within a week, but if the retreat leader is on annual leave or on retreat, then this can take a little bit longer.
- Upon offering you a place, we will then invoice you either for the non-refundable deposit (£100 non-refundable deposit for SINGLE accommodation) or for the full amount, depending which option you choose when you complete your application.
- Your place is fully confirmed once we receive your deposit or full retreat payment.
- If you selected to pay the deposit only, we will invoice you for the balance three months before the retreat starts.
- We will email you the joining instructions in advance of the course.
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
Please read our Terms and Conditions for information regarding payments and cancellations.
For more information:
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.