Foundations of Mindfulness: A Five-day Retreat
We will deepen our personal and experiential engagement with the core meditation practices taught in courses such as Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction and Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy, alongside offering an opportunity to explore theoretical understandings that underpin them. In particular, we will structure the residential around the four ways of establishing mindfulness as expressed within Buddhist philosophy. These teachings will be offered as a framework to support first-person exploration of experience in formal and informal mindfulness practice – the core curriculum will be the immediacy of personal experience. Whilst having their roots in Buddhist psychology, the themes, teaching, practice guidance and explorations will be presented in terms of their application to secular mindfulness programmes such as MBSR and MBCT.
The retreat will include:
- periods of both guided and self-directed practice
- short talks with time for questions and discussion
- group exchanges with the teachers
- interpersonal mindfulness practice in dyads to support us to bring compassionate awareness into our experience of interacting with another – and to deepen contemplation on the teaching themes
- sustained periods of silence to enable participants to connect more fully with their inner experience
- time to practice mindfulness informally between the scheduled sessions
The teachers will be available to talk to people individually.
A core teaching intention for this retreat is to offer a structure and atmosphere within which we can deeply look into experience with the freshness of beginner’s mind, enabling new insights and perspectives to emerge.
Who is the retreat for?
This practice residential is suitable for people who have attended an eight-week MBSR/MBCT (or similar) course and who have a personal practice of mindfulness. The retreat is open to anyone who meets these requirements, and is particularly intended for new and trainee mindfulness teachers, and others who are integrating mindfulness into their professional work.
Requirements to attend:
Completion of an eight-week course (or similar). Prior attendance on a guided silent day of practice is also recommended, but not required.
Please arrive from 3.30pm on the first day. The retreat will end on 24th July at 12.30 followed by lunch.
What to bring/wear:
There will be some equipment available at the venue. You may wish to bring your own equipment to support your practice.
Ashprington, Totnes, Devon, UK, TQ9 7UT
Sharpham House is a grade 1 listed mansion, set within the beautiful Sharpham Estate. It overlooks the Dart valley and is in a designated area of outstanding natural beauty.
Our full rates have no hidden extras and include deposit, teaching, room and board.
Two Fee Options:
- Full rate for a SHARED room (2 or more to a room): £670.00 including the £100.00 deposit
- Full rate for SINGLE room (1 to a room): £770.00 including the £200.00 deposit. Please note that there is limited availability for single rooms, which wil be allocated by health need priority and then on a first come, first served basis.
Please note: The majority of our venues have shared bathrooms, including for SINGLE rooms. Please contact us if you have any specific needs that we need to be aware of.
If the full rate for SINGLE accommodation is paid but we cannot meet your request for a single room due to lack of availability, then we will allocate you SHARED accommodation and refund £100.00 to you or your employer.
The Application and Payment Process:
Our application and payment process involves the following steps:
- We receive your application form and assess it to ensure that this retreat is suitable for you. We endeavour to make assessments within a week, but if the retreat leader is on annual leave or on retreat, then this can take a little bit longer.
- Upon offering you a place, we will then invoice you either for the non-refundable deposit (£100 non-refundable deposit for SHARED accommodation or a £200.00 non-refundable deposit for SINGLE accommodation) or for the full amount, depending which option you choose when you complete your application.
- Your place is fully confirmed once we receive your deposit or full retreat payment.
- If you selected to pay the deposit only, we will invoice you for the balance three months before the retreat starts.
- If the full rate for SINGLE accommodation is paid but we cannot meet your request for a single room due to lack of availability, then we will allocate you SHARED accommodation and refund £100.00 to you or your employer.
- We will email you the joining instructions in advance of the course.
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
Please read our Terms and Conditions for information regarding payments and cancellations.
For more information:
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org