A Seven-day Guest Teacher Retreat
Saturday 25 August 2018 until Friday 31 August 2018 at Trigonos in North Wales
With Melissa Myozen Blacker, Roshi and David Dae An Rynick, Roshi
Personal meditation practice is an essential foundation for anyone who works with mindfulness-based interventions. This retreat provides an opportunity to deepen your personal meditation practice. We will focus on the possibility of waking up to our lives as they are in every moment, through meeting the suffering and joy that naturally arises in our own body, mind and heart with open and compassionate awareness. Developing the capacity to encounter these inner states with equanimity and curiosity creates a foundation for meeting the experiences of your own class participants in your offerings of mindfulness-based interventions. Most of the retreat will be spent in silent sitting and walking practice. The retreat leaders will offer daily talks and individual meetings as well as facilitate a group inquiry process.
Towards the end of the retreat, there will be periods of guided interpersonal inquiry and dialogue to explore the connection between personal practice and teaching mindfulness.
Melissa and David bring their experience in both mindfulness-based interventions and the Zen tradition to this retreat. Their commitment to waking up, their compassionate stance as teachers and their sense of humour create an atmosphere of deep practice that is essential for encountering the true nature of the heart-mind.
Who is the retreat for?
This retreat is designed for those who are experienced practitioners of mindfulness meditation, including those who teach eight-week courses such as MBSR and MBCT.
Retreatants will have attended an eight-week course at least two years prior to attending the retreat and have a minimum of three year’s regular practice of mindfulness meditation (as taught in MBSR or MBCT). All applicants will have attended at least one silent taught retreat (or All-day) for a minimum of one day.
This retreat will help mindfulness teachers who wish to be included on the UK Network Listing of Mindfulness Teachers fulfil the requirement to attend an annual mindfulness retreat.
About the teachers:
Melissa Myozen Blacker, MA, was an MBSR teacher and director of programs at the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester, Massachusetts, USA, founded by Jon Kabat-Zinn, from 1992 to 2012. She is a fully transmitted Zen teacher (Roshi), and co-founder, guiding teacher and Abbot of Boundless Way Zen, a multi-lineage Zen community in New England, and has a private practice in contemplative counseling. She is co-editor of The Book of Mu: Essential Teachings on Zen’s Most Famous Koan.
David Dae An Rynick, PCC, MALS, in addition to being a fully transmitted Zen teacher, is the Abbot of Boundless Way Temple and a life and leadership coach. He works with individuals around the US and UK to help them clarify what is truly important so that they can take action to align their lives more fully with their deepest dreams. A former private school headmaster, teacher, and artist, he has led numerous workshops and retreats on topics ranging from meditation to improvisational dance to organisational leadership. He is the author of This Truth Never Fails: A Zen Memoir in Four Seasons.
Please arrive for 4:00pm on the first day in time for dinner and orientation in the evening. The retreat ends at noon on the last day, followed by lunch at 12:30pm. Participants will need to depart by 2:00pm.
Trigonos is located in the village of Nantlle in North Wales between Penygroes and Rhyd Ddu. Caernarfon is the nearest town and Bangor the nearest mainline railway station (West Coast mainline). Please visit the Trigonos website for additional information and directions at http://www.trigonos.org/node/13.
What to bring and wear:
Mats and cushions will be available at the venue. Please bring any additional items needed for your personal practice.
Two fee options:
- SHARED accommodation (shared with one other person): £1125.00 total includes VAT, deposit (£100.00), teaching, room and board
- PRIVATE accommodation: £1225.00 total includes VAT, deposit (£200.00), teaching, room and board
If the full rate for PRIVATE accommodation is paid but we cannot meet your request for a private room due to lack of availability, then we will allocate you SHARED accommodation and refund £100.00 to you or your employer.
The Application and Payment Process:
Our application and payment process involves the following steps:
- We receive your application form and assess it to ensure that this retreat is suitable for you. We endeavour to make assessments within a week, but if the retreat leader is on annual leave or on retreat, then this can take a little bit longer.
- Upon offering you a place, we will then invoice you either for the nonrefundable deposit (£100 non-refundable deposit for SHARED accommodation or a £200.00 non-refundable deposit for PRIVATE accommodation) or for the full amount, depending which option you choose when you complete your application.
- Your place is fully confirmed once we receive your deposit or full retreat payment.
- If you selected to pay the deposit only, we will invoice you for the balance three months before the retreat starts.
- If the full rate for PRIVATE accommodation is paid but we cannot meet your request for a private room due to lack of availability, then we will allocate you SHARED accommodation and refund £100.00 to you or your employer.
- We will email you the joining instructions in advance of the course.
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
Please read our Terms and Conditions for information regarding payments and cancellations.
For more information:
Please email us at email@example.com.